Monday, February 6, 2012

Paperquilts: A Practice of ArtMaking


I've been so busy working on my book the last year that I haven't spent a lot of time in the studio just making. I'm beginning to move back into it - spending time in the mornings and at least one full day a week. Fiddling with materials.


I've been sorting through old collage papers and these are bits and scraps that ended up in the recycling bin, too small for my student collage bins.


I took a tiny paper punch, less than one inch square, and began punching those bits of papers , making hundreds of tiny squares. It felt like going through old clothes and rags, cutting out the bits that might be salvageable for a quilt.



And so I began piecing the bits of paper together . . .


Building a paper quilt. Those little scraps and bits become something more than just recycling, something interesting. I have no idea where this will end up, but I've been keeping the recycling bin nearby.

ShareThis