Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Art and Healing: Part One

A little over a month ago, a friend of mine died.

It was sudden; she was relatively young and had seemed to be in good health. Just the week before, she had given a dance performance. Her death was a huge shock. It was incredibly painful. And most of March is just a blur.

One of the first things I did, a way of coping, of dealing with it, was to make art. In partnership with another good friend of mine, I decorated boxes to be given to her husband and her two daughters, boxes to hold mementos.

And I started working on a few other pieces. Some encaustics. A portrait of my friend and an image of a nest, the bird gone. The image of what's left behind.


Putting them together, they seem to tell a story. A story that helps. At least a little bit.

4 comments:

Jill Kelly said...

These are beautiful, Bridget, and seem to be a new direction for your work. May your heart be at peace.

Jill Kelly (sobertruths.blogspot.com)

Alea Bone said...

Deeply moving, beautiful work. Emotion is a powerful medium. Thanks for sharing.
xoxo

Alea Bone said...

Deeply moving, beautiful work. Emotion is a powerful medium.
Thanks for sharing.
xoxo

Lavonne said...

OMG I knew it was Jen immidiately! I only met her once, and it changed my life forever. I keep her picture in my car to always remind me to live my life to the fullest because it can be gone in an instant...
I have only recently learned to work through the pain life throws at me using my art...
Best Wishes, PEACE and Blessings,
Lav

ShareThis