Friday, August 21, 2009

Art Unraveled: Part 1

When you find the thing you want to keep learning about, the thing you feel like you could explore for the rest of your life, you've probably found your calling. For me, it's art.

About a week ago, I got back from Art Unraveled, a big mixed media art retreat down in Arizona. I was teaching classes, and I also got to take a few - part of the whole this-is-my-calling-and-I want-to-explore-more thing. I took a resin class from Susan Lenart-Kazmer and made resin papers and cast some objects in resin. I didn't walk away with any finished jewelry projects, but I made some cool components and got to play and experiment.

A cast resin shell and resin papers sealed onto wire frames.

Resin papers, a cast key, and bezels filled with papers, objects and resin.

More papers, another filled bezel, and a cast key colored with acrylics and waxes.

I also got a chance to take a Photoshop class from my friend Mike Jennings. I haven't turned into a Photoshop guru overnight, but I did make a few interesting collages, and I finally understand masks, knocking out images and layer blending a little better than I did before!




I'm particularly fond of the brittle sea star in this one . . .
though the composition could use some work.

No comments:

ShareThis