Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Friday at ArtFest: Abstraction


Friday, I took a class from Mary Beth Shaw in creating abstract images on Claybord. She's the one wearing the green apron in the photo above. She had cowboy boots, a great sense of humor, and a marvelous musical soundtrack for the class!

It's been a while since I've worked in pure color and form, and it was glorious and liberating. Usually, I'm really focused on representational images, though abstract color and form is always a part of the underlying structure.


Here's the start of the boards . . . dividing the space, collaging the surface,
scratching into it, coloring.


And here they are after layers and layers of color . . .

And here's another series of three that I started working on during the class. I don't know where it's going, but it's an interesting journey.

4 comments:

Beverly Ash Gilbert said...

Those were yours! I love your colors! After wandering show and tell, I made a note to take Mary Beth Shaw's class in the future. Stunning work and it looks like you had fun.

Dayna Collins said...

I love your pieces! I took Mary Beth on Saturday at Artfest and had a hoot, also loved the process (which looked similar to what you did on Friday).

Leah said...

oh, these are beautiful!!

MB Shaw said...

Fantastic! You did such a terrific job and I'm so glad to have found your blog :-)

ShareThis