Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Texture in Context

I finally got pictures of the actual pieces I worked on in the texture class, and thought it might be fun to share what the texture looks like in context . . .

I think the dots here help the little raised bit feel like it belongs on the background.

And this one doesn't feel finished yet - but it's almost like the wrinkles in the background become like veins or roots - especially if you consider them in the context of the heart. Maybe taking the veins and extending them to the edges?

I'm done with the work for the Other Side of My Brain for awhile, and I'm delighted - I'll get to spend some time in the studio, and updating my website and getting ready for fall classes. Not that I'm ready for fall, but I am ready to be back in the studio, applying some of this great stuff I've been learning!


And speaking of texture and learning stuff, check out this great tutorial from Sister Diane on How to Emboss a Metal Tin over at CraftStylish. She's also got a whole podcast on how to create faux punched tin and embossed metal looks with inexpensive materials. Talk about a tool to add to my texture arsenal . . .

3 comments:

futuregirl said...

I love the veiny background texture.

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

That wrinkled background texture definitely caught my eye.......very nice!

Dayna Collins said...

Beautiful pieces, Bridget. And when I read the intro to your most recent newsletter, I was smiling because I, too, believe that fall is like a new year. I love the feeling of new beginnings that it brings and the newfound motivation that comes with it! Dayna

ShareThis