Saturday, May 10, 2008

It's Been Awhile.

Ok, rather a long while. During which time I have been working hard with the other side of my brain, working in the yard, having new lights and a vent installed in the studio, prepping for upcoming shows, and getting ready to teach two new classes.


One of the new classes is Junk Drawer Jewels - it started last week, and as usual, teaching the class left me totally inspired to made some new stuff! Like this necklace - I used bits of rubber tubing from the hardware store, rolled up scraps of paper, and endcaps to make the beads on this necklace!

I love the way it just reads as a simple necklace from a distance, and that you don't notice its "junk" elements until you closer . . . unlike the other necklace I'm working on (you'll have to wait until tomorrow to see that one!)

As usual, my students are blowing me away with their creativity - Pamela even posted about the class on her blog - and you've got to check out the pendant she's making from hardware store finds and old watch parts!

5 comments:

Michael5000 said...

That is a cool necklace! Is there significant text on the paper scraps?

Your skin is looking kind of pale and unhealthy in those pictures, though. Have you been getting out?

gl. said...

nice! i love hidden text. :) in this case, i especially love how they look like fuses.

Diane Gilleland said...

Love the rubber tubing! You are such a genius with the hardware. Every time I'm in DIY Lounge, I go visit your washer pendant.

Leah said...

oh, that's so awesome!! so creative!

Bridget said...

M5000: The text in these beads isn't significant . . . these were an experiment . . but I'd love to do some that have meaningful text . . .

gl: They do kind of look like fuses - I've got some fuses I want to do something similar with, but haven't found the right hardware to make 'em work yet . . .

and a thank you to sister dg and leah!

ShareThis