Sunday, November 25, 2007

Back in Craft Show Land

I only do a few "craft shows" a year now, but 15 years ago, they were how I made my living. Loading my van up with bins full of stuff, hauling it up and down the west coast, setting up the booth, freezing or sweating, and hoping I sold some stuff . . . fortunately for all aspiring crafters and artists, we now have the internet and Etsy shops.

Of course, craft shows still happen - but, thank heavens, now, I'm only doing a few a year - and small ones at that. It gets the word out about my classes, I get to meet people, and I reduce my ever-growing inventory of class samples and experiments. (After all, how many of these things can my friends actually absorb?) As a result, I end up with a bizarre mish-mash of stuff at my table - almost like a crafter's rummage sale - and I am beginning to think that an Etsy shop might be a more efficient way for me to offer these things up to the wider world . . .

Oh boy. Another project. Let's finish NaBloPoMo first, shall we? And then there's that book I'm working on . . .

Bottom line, though, I had a great time at the Secret Society Sale (and hauling my stuff up the stairs meant some much needed exercise!) and have a few folks to recommend . . .

Erin MacLeod, of the Crafty MacLeods*, makes these wonderful one-size-fits-many snap around skirts. I wear about a size 10, and they work great for me! I got one this summer, and picked up a few more today since her booth was right next to mine . . . And I saw the gal from Woolie Originals again . . . she makes lovely hats, etc., from reclaimed sweater pieces-parts, but what I'm most crazy about are her collages from old sweaters. I'm getting on her mailing list, and hoping to pick one up sometime in the next year . . . rumor is, she may be doing a piece that features an Octopus! I'm getting excited just thinking about it . . .

(* Do not be disturbed if you didn't catch the obscure Highlander reference. I did it to amuse myself.)

3 comments:

gl. said...

did i just see you roll your eyes? now that you've got a website, i think an etsy shop would be great! :D

hmmm, i wonder if "fits many" means me. i might be about twice as big as you! that's one of the hard things about indie crafts: many cute things i can't wear. :(

i didn't know you liked our friend the Octopus. One of my artist's way clients won second place in the "sock it to me" contest with an octopus design:
http://www.sockittomesocks.com/designasock.html

Susan said...

Okay... I have to show off my intelligence. What's an Etsy shop?

Bridget said...

gl: you have one of those great curvy figures with a real waist and real hips - these skirts are designed to be worn low on the hips - and each one is a little different . . . longer, shorter, with darts, without - it'd be worth trying on if you run into her somewhere! and yes, I love the Octopus . . . a brainy, multi-armed sea creature? What's not to love?

Su: An Etsy shop is an online shop just for crafty folks! Check out http://www.etsy.com and just start browsing . . . I love the jewelry! And I've been thinking this might be a great avenue for Sari to sell things, too - check out the bath and body section!

ShareThis